Engagement sessions are a really fun way to not only spend some quality time with the one you love, but also take your photographer for a “test drive” before the big day. I’ve found over the years, that the couples I’m able to hang out with on an engagement session are leaps and bounds more comfortable when it comes time for the wedding day. They know that I’ve learned what to do to capture that real smile (not the one your fiancé makes for every picture Mom asks to take) and that I totally have their back. However, as much fun as engagement sessions are, the time leading up to having your picture taken can be stressful and overwhelming. Do these thoughts sound familiar? “What should I wear?” “Does my favorite dress photograph well?” “How in the heck am I supposed to know all of this? I’ve never gotten married before!”
Deep breathes and no worries. Here are 5 simple tips to help rock out any photo session…
- First and foremost, be comfortable in what you’re wearing. Your portraits are about you and your unique style. Don’t force yourself into something you would never wear. Granted this is a special occasion, so we won’t wear our comfy yoga pants if you agree to not wear your old sneakers. 🙂 You do want to look smokin’! If you feel amazing you’ll look amazing in photographs. Yep, you know what that means… I’ve just given you an excuse to go shopping!
- Don’t be afraid of color. You want to stand out as the subject of your images and strong colors can help you do just that. When planning outfits together think about coordinating, NOT matching perfectly. You want to compliment each other without looking like twins. Stay in the same color family like reds & browns, greens & blues, or purples & greys. Take a look at how photos in ads and catalogs are styled to present the models as a cohesive image in the way they dress – they can give you ideas for complementary colors and clothing styles for the engagement shoot.
- Accessorize! Accessories can bring out even more of your personality and a great statement necklace or fabulous earrings can add the perfect finishing touch to any look. Props can also be theperfect finishing touch. A large brimmed hat to sneak a kiss behind, your fiancé’s guitar he or she plays for you after a long day, or the new furry addition to the family – if it helps tell your unique story then bring it along!
- Finishing off your perfect look also requires the perfect pair of shoes. Go ahead, splurge. I officially give you permission to shop for those sexy pair of black heels you’ve been wanting.
- Avoid large logos and really wide stripes (vertical or horizontal). We want the focus to be on you! Solid colors and simple patterns always photograph well but that doesn’t mean fun patterns are totally off limits. If you found the perfect printed ensemble keep your fiancé in a solid shirt that compliments one color of the pattern.
Bonus tips I tell all of my awesome RMPD couples…
Leave your cell phones in the car and don’t schedule anything immediately after your session. This is all about blocking out some intentional time just for the two of you to focus on each other.
Get ready for some serious cuddle time! It’s my job as a photographer to make sure you look amazing, you just relax and have fun!
Have more questions? Feel free to ask away by shooting us an email at photography@rebeccamarieart (dot) com If you have a question, odds are plenty of others have the same question. Why not consider asking on our Facebook page so everyone benefits?
Rebecca is the owner and lead photographer at Rebecca Marie Photography & Design, a Chicago based wedding and portrait studio. Her goal every time the shutter clicks is to create an image that not only showcases your personality to loved ones but also reminds you of a feeling in that split second.